Friday 29 April 2011

1.) In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?


This is the first scene of the movie, it shows blood dripping into a sink, along the with the title "Starring Georgina Nicholas". In this scene I tried to make the audience feel a bit suspicious about this and wander how it could be linked to anything and hows blood it is. Instantly there is a bit of horror/thriller in the movie, the dark blood dripping down into the sink.


This scene shows the title of my film (The Other Side). I was advised to use a simple form of text as so I did. I named my movie The Other Side because the story basically explains that a teenager has a split personality and that one side of that split personality is a killer so he murders one of his friends, only then the next morning realising that he is suddenly the killer, hence the blood dripping at certain points in the movie.



This is a camera shot through the killers eyes, so you can see what the killer is seeing and this is used quite alot in horror movies to get you into the mind set of the killer/monster of the movie. I think that this is a good angle as you get to see what the killer is seeing. And it later zooms in so close that you are right behind the victim.



This is a very close up view of the victims eye, I did this shot because I thought it gave a great view of how scared and horrified the victim is.



This scene shows the killer pointing a gun at the victim, you cant see very clearly but he is wearing a black mask and a black hoodie to hide his face and give a more menacing and scary look to him. Notice how I put the camera at a low angle to show how he is the more powerful being, but it also shows as if the camera is the victims eyes and the audience is seeing what the victim is seeing.



This is the bit where the teenager wakes up and doesnt yet realise that he is the killer. It is a normal bedroom with normal clothing so that could be related to the target audience.



This is one mirror scene where by he is tired as he has just woken up and is looking himself in the mirror. I decided to instead of a normal face on angle I wanted to make sure the camera can have an over the shouder shot so it can also look as if someone is over his shoulder looking at him.


This is a shot of the tap with water flowing from it, after the teenager puts his head downwards out of view from the mirror it cuts to this shot to show that he is cleaning his face.



This is the final scene of the movie, where the teenager comes back up from washing his face and comes back up as the killer, this is the indication and give away that he is the killer who murdered his friend.. the other side of his personality.


Overall I feel I stuck with conventions because this helped me structure my film and make it more relevant and characterised towards the horror genre. By sticking to conventions enabled the audience to also relate my movie to the genre genre and therefore not mislead them towards a crime/thriller genre or any other similiar genre. One of the key main conventions would be the vulnerable teenage girl who in most films such as "Scream", where the teenage girl is usually one of the first victims of the movie. Another key feature is the masked killer, of which the audience wander throughout the whole movie who it is and will there be a twist at the end of the story. One of the main conventions I wanted to put in my film was the favourable young vunerable teen of which in many horror movies gets hurt or killed at some point during a horror/ thriller movie. This is what I wanted to incorporate into my film as it is not only a key conventions in horror movies but also it relates specifically to my target audience as most of them would be teenagers and therefore to a certain extent they can relate to the character.


No comments:

Post a Comment